Native food in Nagoya
It consists of a mouthful size rice ball rolled in black 'nori' (dried seaweed) covering a fried shrimp in the centre.
Nagoya is known for using this special ingredient 'miso' (a special sauce made from fermented soybeans) other than in the making of miso-soup. You should not go the city without tasting the misokatsu, deep fried pork cutlet served with a rich, red miso sauce on it. It will be delicious.
Another interesting recipe using the miso is Misonikomi-udon. Misonikomi-udon is prepared with thick, chewy, handmade 'kishimen' served in boiling hot red miso based thick soup. Kishimen are smoothly beaten flat noodles and variation of udon noodles (thick white flour noodle), a popular local dish of Nagoya.
The Nagoya Kochin
Nagoya Kochin is an exquisite recipe of chicken, from the early 20th century. You can taste lots of different dishes such as 'kushiyaki' (kebab), 'nabemono' (a one-pot dish), and 'shabu-shabu' using Nagoya kochin.
Uiro is the classic jelly-like Japanese steamed cake prepared of rice flour and sugar. It is chewy, like to 'mochi' (rice cake), and subtly sweet. You will find many of these cakes in the tea ceremony.
- Mameya genge. The Bee B1F, 4-15-23 Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya Phone: (052) 261-0308.
Description: Mameya genge bring you specialty tofu dishes, a variety of fresh seasonal seafood and original dishes, along with a wide range of regional sake and shochu to offer an adult style of Japanese dining.
- FOODING LOUNGE L & G. 1-10-33 Higashi-sakura, Higashi-ku, Nagoya. Phone: 052-971-5558.
Description: Starting with stone-baked Pizza Napoletana, L & G offer you authentic Italian food and more. With a DJ booth, this Fooding Restaurant brings a new style of night life to Nagoya.
- The Tower Restaurant Nagoya. Nagoya TV Tower 4F, 3-6-15 Nishiki, Naka-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 951-3505.
Description: In the center of Sakae, in Hisaya Odori Park, this sky restaurant gives you a view of the whole city. Enjoy Continental Cuisine prepared from selected seasonal ingredients, along with the ever-changing view from the window!
- Garden Restaurant Tokugawaen. 1001 Tokugawa-cho, Higashi-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 932-7887.
Description: Enjoy elegant times at the 'Garden Restaurant' and 'Sozanso Bar & Lounge', commanding beautiful views of the green gardens at 'Tokugawaen'.
- Aichi Nagoya Japanese Restaurant Aikyo. 1-31 Nishino-cho, Atsuta-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 683-0010.
Description: Welcome to top class Japanese gourmet in Nagoya, welcome to Aikyo. For over 30 years Aikyo's chefs have been delivering delicious seasonal dishes from carefully sourced local ingredients. The seating is traditional floor style, but don't worry about your back with our special seats and plenty of leg room.
- Taiko Honten Fushimi. NUP Fushimi Bldg. B1, 2-2-12 Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 222-2323.
Description: Very close to Fushimi subway station. Traditional favourites Shabu-shabu using the finest quality beef and Kaiseki cuisine of seasonal delights are offered at reasonable prices, in an authentic setting.
- Taiko Honten Chikaramachi. 4-73 Chikaramachi, Higashi-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 931-2323.
Description: Traditional favourites Shabu-shabu using the finest quality beef and Kaiseki cuisine of seasonal delights are offered at reasonable prices, in an authentic setting.
- Raffles'. Shin-Sakae 2-2-22, Naka-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 264-7782.
Description: If you're feeling nostalgic for your last Asian holiday, or just want to try something different, we look forward to seeing you at Raffles'!
- Tiger Cafe. 1-9-22 Higashi Sakura, Higashi-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 971-1031.
Description: Sophisticated yet light and casual, Tiger Cafe is a Parisian style eatery and cafe bar, delicious food and stylish service.
- Vintage 1970. Raglux Bldg. Nishiki 8F, 3-13-3 Nishiki, Naka-ku, Nagoya. Phone: (052) 972-9393.
Description: Find the wine to match your mood and enjoy authentic French cuisine by candle light, while listening to relaxing music.